Billy's Natural Environment
Workshop at the Museum
Ontario: senior kindergarten, grade 1
Quebec: kindergarten, elementary cycle 1.
In this hands-on workshop, students help Billy the Beaver on a cross-Canada adventure to get back to his habitat. With each new environment that Billy visits, students observe and evaluate if Billy will be able to meet his basic needs.
Touch and examine lots of specimens, explore remarkable beaver adaptations and work together to build a fun and engaging habitat.
Duration: 50 minutes.
Curriculum links (link goes to the bottom of the page).
- October 1, 2019 – June 19, 2020
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
- November 22, 29
- December 6, 13, 20
- March 27
- April 3, 17, 24
- May 1, 8, 15, 22
- June 12, 19
- Workshop start times: 9:45 am, 11 am, 12:15 pm.
- $1 per student, in addition to museum admission (admission: $9)
- Tax is not included
- See if your class qualifies for Nature Express, our financial-aid program.
Information and Reservations
- TTY: 613.566.4770
- TTY: 1.866.600.8801
Science and Technology
- Demonstrate an understanding of and care for the natural world.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the natural and human-made environment through hands-on investigations, observation, questioning, and sharing of the findings.
Exploration and experimentation
- Demonstrate an awareness of local natural habitats through exploration and observation.
Science and Technology
Understanding Life Systems—Needs and Characteristics of Living Things
Developing Investigation and Communication Skills
- Investigate and compare the basic needs of humans and other living things, including the need for air, water, food, warmth and space, using a variety of methods and resources.
Understanding Basic Concepts
- Identify environment as the area in which something or someone exists or lives.
- Identify the physical characteristics (e.g., size, shape, colour, common parts) of a variety of plants and animals.
Competency 1: Perform sensorimotor actions effectively in different contexts
- To broaden his/her repertoire of actions.
Competency 5: Construct understanding of the world
- Exercise thinking in a variety of contexts.
- Organize information.
- Describe his/her learnings.
Competency 6: Complete an activity or project
- Become involved in the project or activity, drawing on his/her resources.
Elementary Cycle 1
Mathematics, Science and Technology
Competency: To explore the world of science and technology
- To learn to use simple tools and procedures.
- To become familiar with scientific and technological ways of reasoning and doing things.
Essential Knowledges / Living Things
- Animal's adaptation to its environment.
- Foods of domesticated and wild animals.
In order to fully access some of the content on this page, you may need to download the following: