Sleepover FAQs: Families and Groups
How should I prepare for the sleepover?
- Documents to bring: Each participant or their parent/guardian is required to sign this waiver (PDF); get them signed in advance, and bring them with you
- Documents to bring: Please bring a complete list of the participants in your group
- Eat dinner; a light snack will be provided later in the evening
- Have adequate rest before the sleepover
- Remember that food and drinks (including chewing gum) from outside the museum are not permitted
- Leave electronic devices such as video games and music players at home
- Pack light and comfortably (you will be carrying your own gear); see the suggested packing list below
- Label your belongings.
- One week before the sleepover, you must provide us with a complete list of participants in your group. To make the list, download and complete this table (a Microsoft Excel document; right-click on the link in order to ensure that the document opens in Excel rather than in your web browser). Email the completed file to us: email@example.com.
- Your group leader is responsible for assigning sleeping locations to group members, based on selections provided by the museum.
What should I bring?
We recommend that participants bring the following:
- Comfortable clothing and shoes for gallery exploration
- Sleeping bag
- Light, one-person mattress pad (self-inflating models are acceptable; no pumps)
- Pyjamas: Your overnight clothes should be suitable and warm-enough for standing outside in the unlikely event of an evacuation
- Sleeping mask (optional; the room may not be fully dark)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (no shower facilities are available)
- Reusable water bottle.
- Portable charger: There are no electrical outlets located by sleeping spots. A limited number of unsupervised outlets are available near gallery entrances.
We also recommend that all items be identified with the participant's name.
What should I leave at home?
Do not bring electrical devices such as for playing music or games, or appliances such as air-mattress pumps, etc. There are no electrical outlets located by sleeping spots.
Mobile phones are permitted.
Sleeping pads that require a pump or an electrical outlet to inflate are not permitted. (Self-inflating models are acceptable).
Do not bring valuables. The museum takes no responsibility for loss of or damage to any items belonging to visitors.
The sleepover is a scent-free event. Please refrain from wearing and using scented products during the sleepover and its related activities
Is parking included?
Yes! The sleepover includes a voucher for free overnight parking (one per car parked in our lot). The voucher is valid until 9 am. If you wish to remain in the museum's parking lot after this time, you will have to pay the regular parking fees for that time.
We will give you the free-parking voucher on the morning of the sleepover, before you leave. When you exit the parking lot, first insert the ticket that you got when you drove in, and then scan the voucher.
Alternatively, if you do not wish to park on site, take advantage of our free, 15-minute drop-off period.
When should we arrive?
The doors will open at 6:45 pm. (Park in the east parking lot and go to the entrance on that side).
Our team will welcome arrivals until 7:30 pm, after which time the doors will be closed for the night. No late arrivals will be admitted after this time.
We will hold an orientation meeting at 7:40 pm.
Where will I sleep?
You will sleep in one of the museum's first-class galleries.
All participants will be assigned a spot to sleep. For Group Sleepovers, your group leader will assign your spot, based on the selection that we provide. Your location will be communicated to you upon arrival.
For your safety and that of our specimens, we ask that you stay in your assigned sleeping location during the entire night.
May I take photos?
Of course! Tripods and additional lights are not permitted.
Participants may be photographed for event albums and marketing. Notify our staff when you arrive if you would like to opt out.
What kind of snack will be served?
A light and nutritious snack will be available for each participant. The snack menu will be confirmed soon.
For the safety of all participants, no food or beverages (including gum) from outside the museum are permitted.
What will be served for breakfast?
A buffet including warm and cold breakfast options will be served. The menu will be confirmed soon.
For the safety of all participants, no food or beverages from outside the museum are permitted.
Please inform us at least one week before the sleepover of any food allergies so that we can accommodate.
What are your expectations regarding behaviour at a sleepover?
We work hard to ensure that you have an amazing sleepover experience. Part of that commitment requires that we ensure no participant disrupts the enjoyment or safety of the other guests through aggressive behaviour, bullying, the use of inappropriate language or other disruptive or unsafe actions.
Leaders and parents are responsible for supervising children that they are accompanying.
The museum reserves the right to ask a participant to leave the sleepover if, at any time, a participant's behaviour endangers the safety of the galleries, the other participants and/or museum personnel.
Shoes must be worn at all times when exploring the museum.
Smoking and vaping are not permitted on the museum's property.
What if someone in my group falls ill?
Our security officers are trained to offer first aid to those who may need it.
How many people may participate in a sleepover?
- Minimum number of participants required to hold the sleepover: 60
- The maximum number of participants: 150.
- Minimum number of participants per group to qualify for the group rate: 15
- Minimum number of participants required to hold the sleepover: 90
- Number of participants per gallery: 60
- Maximum number of participants: 150.
Do you give refunds?
If we have to cancel any sleepover because of insufficient registration, we will make that decision no later than two weeks before the sleepover.
We will provide participants with a full refund if we cancel a sleepover. Otherwise, tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable.
We do not allow entry into the sleepover after 7:30 pm, and no refunds will be given for latecomers.