Kieran Shepherd ensures that the vertebrate fossils at the museum are cared for and preserved properly.
- M.A., Palaeo-environmental Studies, Norwich University, 1993
Kieran has been with the museum for nearly 25 years, during which time he gathered experience in the care and preservation of vertebrate fossils. He currently works as Curator of the Palaeobiology Collection at the museum's research and collections facility, a purpose-built curatorial facility in Gatineau, Quebec, that he helped design. Kieran is the innovator of new curatorial methods that ensure the long-term preservation of Canada's National Fossil Collection.
One of Kieran's favourite aspects to his job is field work, for which he travels as far away as China in the search for fossil dinosaurs, or stays right here in the Ottawa Valley where he prospects for fossils from the ancient Champlain Sea. He was part of the research teams that described two new Ceratopsian dinosaurs, Vagaceratops irvinensis and Xenoceratops foremostensis. Kieran has also taught a course in the curation of natural history specimens for a college-level museum-studies programme, and was part of the exhibition team that developed the fossil gallery.
In the Museum's Blog
Plants, Fossils, Stories and More: The Students on Ice 2015 Arctic Expedition
by Paul Sokoloff and Kieran Shepherd The Canadian Museum of Nature and Students on Ice (SOI) have been partners in experiential education in the north from the very first expedition 15 years ago.
Finders are not Keepers
Kieran Shepherd, the museum’s Curator of Palaeobiology, explains the arrival in our fossil collection of a new palaeo star named Tiktaalik. Continue reading
Join the conversation:
- Rhodochrosite from China & USA at the Geological Museum of China on #MineralMonday by a roaming Curator… t.co/Zeu1i9hWkQ
- The visitors sure love the Dinosaurs at the Beijing Museum of Nature History. Looking forward to visiting the colle… t.co/YkDx0NjgnG
- Platybelodon at the Beijing Museum of Natural History on #FossilOfTheDay by a roaming Curator @MuseumofNature t.co/SzAIWiTs0T
- Sinornithosaurus at the Geological Museum of China in Beijing on #FossilOfTheDay by a roaming Curator… t.co/PhBXopplTQ