Café Scientifique and Documentary Night—February
When Does Ecological Activism Cross the Line from Helpful to Counterproductive?
- Event – Facilitated discussion, HD documentary, dessert, cash bar
Join us for a stimulating evening! Listen to interesting speakers, watch a thought-provoking documentary, and participate in a dynamic discussion.
Reservations are required:
- Reservations are on a first come, first served basis
- When making your reservation, please indicate if you need a dairy-free or gluten-free dessert, or have food allergies
- Please note: Tickets are non-refundable, but they are transferable to another party. Tickets may also be transferred to another date, with a minimum of 24 hours' advance notice.
Cost: $25; $20 for members, students and volunteers.
The Café scientifique discussion provides the opportunity to share different views on a specific question in a relaxed atmosphere.
When does ecological activism cross the line from helpful to counterproductive?
- Aaron Doyle, Associate Professor, Carleton University, Department of Sociology and Anthropology
- Kevin Donaghy, Community Organizer, Occupy Ottawa
Eco-Pirate: The Story of Paul Watson
Eco-Pirate: The Story of Paul Watson is a feature-length documentary about a man on a mission to save the planet and its oceans.
Part Captain Nemo, part Grizzly Man, the film will follow Watson in the act as he repeatedly flouts the law, so that he may apprehend what he sees as the more serious law-breakers: the illegal poachers of the world.
From the genesis of Greenpeace to the sinking of a pirate whaling ship off Portugal, from clashes with fisherman in the Galapagos to Watson's recent headline-grabbing battles with the Japanese whaling fleet in Antarctica, this documentary chronicles the extraordinary life one of the most controversial figures in the environmental movement—the heroics, the ego, the urgency—of the world's original eco-pirate.
Produced by Trish Dolman and Kevin Eastwood.
Duration: 110 minutes.
Friday, February 24
6:30 pm – 7:00 pm: Doors open, cash bar, dessert, coffee, tea
7:00 pm – 7:30 pm: Welcome, introductions
7:30 pm – 9:30 pm: Documentary
9:30 pm – 10:30 pm: Guest speakers and café-scientifique discussion