Natural History Notebooks
Target audience: grade 3 and above; elementary cycle 2 and above
Subject: descriptions and information for more than 250 animal species (modern and prehistoric), as well as illustrations, photographs and supplemental articles on related topics.
This Web site presents:
- brief articles about modern and prehistoric animal species , sorted into categories: amphibians, birds, dinosaurs, fish, invertebrates, mammals, prehistoric animals, reptiles
- brief articles about related topics
- scientifically accurate, artistic, black-and-white illustrations
- hundreds of photographs.
In 2008, this popular feature was redesigned, the information and several illustrations were updated, and articles and photographs were added.
amphibians, birds, dinosaurs, fish, invertebrates, mammals, prehistoric animals, reptiles, characteristics, behaviour, evolutionary adaptations, diet, habitat, environment, range, life cycle, development, reproduction, conservation
- Articles about prehistoric topics such as dinosaur eggs, trackways, metabolism and extinction; the Bering Isthmus; ice ages.
- An explanation of the Linnean classification system, with a focus on scientific names.
- An introduction to geologic time scales.
- A list of Canada's provincial and territorial birds with links to the relevant Notebooks.
- A list of recommended web sites on relevant topics.
- Guidance on permission to copy the information and images of the site.
Canadian Museum of Nature